Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

One Month Meal Plan for a Better HEALTHIER YOU!

 

Left picture taken around 2013 and Right picture taken around 2015. 

As you can see from the above picture, I have been on this weight loss journey before and was able to come out ahead a handful of years ago.  But then life happened; kidney stones, broken tailbone, death in the family, broke up with my boyfriend, work, kiddo and that small little pandemic that shut down the World!  Things started getting back to somewhat a normal life last month and I realized as I was trying to fit back into my work clothes that I had somehow reversed all the work I had done and am now back to the first picture without even realizing!  Darn those stretchy pants!  So now my journey starts over to work my way back to picture number 2!  

I started posting my weekly meal plan picture on Facebook and a few friends have reached out to ask for more information, since the meal planning is the hardest part.  I decided to use this post to help anyone that wants to start their own weight loss journey but is a little overwhelmed.  I admit that I am NO weight loss expert, just someone who has been in your shoes and knows how hard it is.  Fad diets DO NOT work long term.  Who in their right mind wants to give up carbs for the rest of your life anyway?!?!?

My basic plan normally sticks to the 21 Day Fix meals but I don't overly obsess about the containers.  However, I do like that this plan allows for all food groups, just in the right portion amounts.  No need to go buy the program.  The idea is for a basic 1200 calorie a day diet, you should eat the following amounts:  4 (3/4 cup) Protein, 3 (1 cup) Veggies, 2 (1 cup) Fruit, 2 (1/2 cup) Carbs, 1 (1/3 cup) Healthy Fats, 2 (tablespoons) Seeds/Dressings and 2 (teaspoons) Oils/Nut Butters.  I try to stick to this idea but not always so no need to point that out later on!

Below is my meal plans for the month (Monday - Friday).  I normally just wing it on the weekends.  I have linked the basic recipes to some of the dishes if you want to know how to make it.  I try and follow the recipes BUT sometimes I make a few changes depending on my needs or taste.  

WEEK 1

Breakfast:  Egg Cups x2, Spicy Hummus, Pineapple and Iced Protein Coffee

Lunch:  Tuna Salad

Dinner:  Turkey Burger (no bun) with Lettuce and Cajun Fries

Snack:  Banana pudding, Bananas and sunflower seeds

For the first week, I was trying to make stuff that I already had in the panty (hence the banana pudding).  To make my Iced Protein Coffee, I fill a 32oz cup with ice and pour in 6oz of strong black caramel vanilla coffee and then add in 1/3 of the chocolate protein shake.  One protein shake should last you three days or more.  It gives you that Starbucks coffee without the calories!


The Egg Cups, I changed the recipe and used egg whites that you can find in the egg section of your store.  Less calories and easy to just pour over the top of your veggies/meats.  I HIGHLY recommend you purchase rubber baking cups for this recipe.  I've tried oil, paper cups and wax paper but the eggs stuck to everything.  I finally wised up and tried the rubber baking cups and the eggs came out without any mess.  For my egg cups, I add precooked bacon, peppers, onions, spinach and jalapeno with a little pepper and garlic salt.  Once my cups are filled, I pour the egg whites almost to the top.  Mine takes about 20 minutes to bake.

For the Tuna Salad, there is a local restaurant close to me that makes the BEST pasta salad so I checked their website and copied down all the ingredients.  Then I went to work on making a healthier version with homemade dressing and added tuna for the protein. 

Turkey burger is frozen (I had a coupon) and turned my normal fries into Cajun for a little kick.  My lettuce came from the little garden I planted this year.      



WEEK 2

Breakfast:  Egg Cups x2, Oranges x2  and Iced Coffee

Lunch:  Stuffed Pepper Soup

Dinner:  Pepper Steak

Snack:  Banana and sunflower seeds

Stuffed Pepper Soup is one of my favorites.  It is so easy to make and a healthy fast meal to prepare.  I had some extra peppers from the prior week and steak in my freezer so dinner was rather easy.

WEEK 3

Breakfast:  French Toast Cups, Hard Boiled Egg, Bacon, Maple Syrup and Iced Coffee

Lunch:  Chicken Burrito Bowl (no rice)

Dinner:  Salmon and Asparagus

Snack:  Banana, cherries, peppers, watermelon and sunflower seeds

I took a trip out to Aldi's and I had a little more food to work with on this week.  I found that 1/2 a slice of wheat bread fills one baking cup for the French Toast.  I didn't want fruit in my cups so I left that part off the recipe and ate fruit on the side.  I like precooked bacon because it's easy to toss it in the microwave for 20 secs while you are shelling the hardboiled egg.  I add a little extra bacon to my meals just so I can make a few for my dog so the portion size might look a little more then what you should have.

Chicken burrito bowl is pretty easy to make.  Cook your chicken with onion and add corn/black beans.  Remember to always rinse off your corn and black beans before eating because this helps reduce the sodium content in these items.  I skipped the rice because I had bread for breakfast but it wouldn't hurt to add rice or cauliflower rice if you like.  Remember to keep it at a 1/2 cup!

Aldi's had this amazing looking blacken salmon so I bought it with a frozen bag of asparagus.  Frying fish is where the amazing Air Fryer comes into play.  It's so easy to put your fish in there while you are prepping everything else for your meals. 

WEEK 4


Breakfast:  Boiled Egg, Bacon, Peppers and Iced Protein Coffee

Lunch:  Big Mac Salad


Snacks:  Banana and Sunflower Seeds

I found that I really like boiled eggs in the morning with bacon so I kept at it for this week.  I did switch up the bacon and bought precooked THICK bacon and I love it so much more!  

I'm also a huge fan of the wonderful Big Mac so when I found a healthy recipe for a salad, I had to try it.  I have to say that it really does taste like a Big Mac.  It is so good and filling!  You have to give it a try.  For the sauce, I left off the monk fruit (what is that?) and the salt.  It wasn't missed.  

As for the chicken enchiladas, I did not follow the step in the recipe where it says to blend the topping together to make it smooth.  I kind of wished I had, but lesson learned.  To make the chicken, I put 3 chicken breasts in the crockpot for 3 hours on high with chicken stock and Cajun seasonings.  You might have figured out that I'm a huge fan of Cajun flavors!    

I've decided to get away from plastic storage containers so I did my research and bought glass containers (one compartment and two compartment).  They are a perfect size to fit in lunchboxes and keeping your portions sizes correct!  You will also want to invest in some rubber baking cups because trying to make egg cups in your normal pans will leave you with a scrubbing mess trying to get them clean afterward!

Drinking lots of water is also something I need to work on.  I like drinking something with a taste.  Right now my go to is ice tea (no sugar).  It took me a few months to start drinking tea without sugar and now I love it.  If you want to cut back, the easiest way I found was to buy sugar packets.  Start with one packet and then slowly move to 1/2 packet and then no sugar at all.  I have this handy little tea pot that I keep at work.  I put my tea bag in hot water for 5 minutes and then pour over a 32oz cup filled with ice.  Fresh iced tea in minutes. 


 
The first two weeks, I worked on food prepping and eating healthier.  The last two weeks, I have added in full body exercise.  After the first month, I can already see a huge change in my mood along with my clothes fitting better.  It's the little things that make you want to continue on!  I hope this helps you on your journey to a better HEALTHIER you! 😊 

No comments:

Post a Comment